Looking for a brand new Reading for Pleasure Book Club? Interested in bringing brilliant authors into your classroom to help you celebrate stories and nurture a love of reading in your pupils? Look no further!
As a publisher of teaching and learning resources, Collins want to encourage all children to love reading and have the opportunity to be inspired by amazing authors and illustrators. Here at Farshore, we’re home to some of the most diverse and exciting authors and illustrators in the world, and they would love to help your pupils become passionate readers for life. Research has shown that reading for pleasure is the single greatest factor in improving children’s life chances.
The book club will feature two free live virtual author and illustrator events per term (one for KS1, one for KS2) and much more:
- Option to watch the events on catch up afterwards at a time to suit you
- The first thirty schools to sign-up to the Katie and Kevin Tsang event will receive a free copy of Sam Wu is NOT Afraid of Space
- The first thirty schools to sign-up to the Gareth P. Jones event will receive a free copy of Cindergorilla
- Resources to explore the book with your students
- A personalised certificate for each class from the author
- A free copy of Help Your Child Love Reading: A Parent’s Guide to loan to your parents and share tips on how to share the stories at home
- 60% discount on copies of the featured books through the Collins website
We’re launching this term with two brilliant events…
KS2: Katie and Kevin Tsang, Sam Wu is Not Afraid series
Thursday 4th November, 2.15-3PM
Discover how Katie and Kevin Tsang write the Sam Wu series together, hear hilarious readings from the book, discover how to create your own scaredy-cats and ask the authors questions in a live Q&A.
KS1: Gareth P. Jones, Fairy Tales for the Fearless series
Thursday 18th November, 2.15-3PM
Join award-winning author and performer Gareth P. Jones for some musical magic based on his picture books Rabunzel, Cindergorilla & The Lion on the Bus. Discover the fairy tales that inspired Gareth’s books and sing, rap and ROAR along in this hilarious and unique event.
Reading for Pleasure Matters
At Farshore, our mission is to make every child a proud reader, because there is a wealth of research to show that children that read for pleasure simply do better in life. Here’s just some of the benefits taking part in the book club will bring to your school:
- Be on the pulse of book trends and easily discover inclusive books for every reader
- Support parents to extend your school’s reading culture into the home
- Inspire a love of reading in the classroom, improving your students’ educational performance and life chances because:
Reading for pleasure is more important to a child’s academic success than the parents’ socio- economic status. (OECD)
Pupils who report liking reading the most perform, on average, 45-points above those pupils who indicate that they do not like reading. (Source: Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS): National Report for England December 2017)
Children who read for pleasure daily, or nearly every day, are a year ahead in reading performance vs those who never do OECD (2010)