Share @natluurtsema’s hilarious novel, Opie Jones Talks to Animals, with your year 5 and 6 students – then use the lessons in this resource pack to investigate some of the book’s main themes.
By taking part in the creative cross-curricular activities in this pack, children will…
- Deepen their experience of the text and interrogate it to extend understanding, infer meanings and summarise what they’ve learned
- Explore monologues and dialogues through discussion, drama and creative writing
- Learn new skills to help with public speaking and performance
- Develop concentration, mindfulness and relaxation skills for wellbeing and confidence
- Use mindfulness, observation and discussion to promote positive thinking, empathy and personal responsibility
- Receive a certificate for successfully completing an Opie Jones-inspired challenge
About Opie Jones Talks to Animals
Opie Jones is a very ordinary 10-year-old. You might even say dull. So she’s surprised to be recruited into The Resistance – a gang of superheroes fighting an evil brain-washing villain. Not so dull after all!
Oh wait. Except she discovers she can’t read human minds, only animal ones. The other superheroes aren’t sure if chatting to slugs and budgies is the key to defeating evil. Opie will have to prove them wrong!
The first in a hilarious new adventure series that tells you what animals are really thinking!